• Posted by Sara on September 29, 2023 at 1:12 pm

Hello everyone! I’d like to welcome you to our meet and greet on behalf of the MAP Academy. Here, you can introduce yourself and get to know each other.

Our team at the MAP Academy has really enjoyed putting together this course with Dr Beth Citron and engaging with the complex histories and ideas surrounding modern and contemporary Indian art.

We’re so excited to have a space to engage with our community and we’d love to get to know you better! Feel free to use this space to tell us more about yourself and your interest in the subject. You can also share what you hope to learn in the course, resources you may come across or even larger themes and ideas to explore.

• This discussion was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Sara.
    • This discussion was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  George.
    • This discussion was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Sara.
    Bhargavi replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 40 Members · 78 Replies
  • 78 Replies
  • Krishna

Administrator
    October 12, 2023 at 12:38 pm

Thanks Sara, and hi everyone! I’ll be happy to go first. I’m Krishna, a Research and Production Associate here at MAP Academy, as well as a fellow enthusiast of South Asian art, textiles, performance, and the myriad cultural histories of the region. I’ll be managing this space, and can’t wait to hear about your backgrounds, interests and experiences with relation to modern and contemporary art, as well as what excites you most about this course.

• Raghuram

October 31, 2023 at 11:32 am

Hello Everyone! My name is Raghuram SK, from Thanjavur, Tamilnadu. I am currently working as a Research Associate in INTACH, New Delhi. I have done my MA in Museology from the National Museum Institute, New Delhi. My areas of Interests are Temple Architecture and South Indian History. I also lead heritage walks and guided tours in Tamilnadu. Since my journey into this field of history, heritage, tourism, I have never stepped into learning about the modern and contemporary art as I had this in my back of my mind that it is not appealing or interesting to me. I want to utilise this opportunity to learn about something that’s out of my comfort zone.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 2, 2023 at 2:10 pm

Hi Raghuram,

Welcome to the course, we are delighted to have you here! It’s so nice to hear about your experience working with heritage, tourism and history. We hope this course serves as a great entry point into modern & contemporary Indian Art and that it will provide insight into how India’s rich artistic heritage continues to shape contemporary artistic practice. Feel free to reach out anytime if you have any questions or feedback.

• Rhea

October 31, 2023 at 1:10 pm

Hello all! I am Rhea, an undergraduate currently studying a double major in English Literature and Art History at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. I wanted to learn more about South Asian and Indian art in general, and I have always liked contemporary art, so this is a good opportunity to learn about both in greater depth.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 2, 2023 at 2:11 pm

Hi Rhea,

It is nice to meet you! Thank you for enrolling in the course and being part of our community! We hope you find the lessons insightful. Feel free to share any feedback you may have with us!

• Yuvraj

October 31, 2023 at 8:01 pm

Hello everyone, My name is Yuvraj. I am film school graduate from Whistling Woods, bombay. My interests lie in theatre, dance (of all kinds), photography, arts in general and of course cinema. What interested me about the course was that it was free and self paced; because generally I have too much on my plate. Hope to engage and learn from you all ahead.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 2, 2023 at 2:12 pm

Hi Yuvraj,

Welcome and thank you for choosing to enrol in our course! We hope the course supports your research interests. A few topics from the course that immediately come to mind that you may find interesting are Performance Art and Photographic Practices. Please feel free to share any thoughts or feedback you may have as you journey through the course!

• Shanzay

October 31, 2023 at 11:15 pm

Hi, my name is Shanzay Asim, and I’m doing my MPhil in Cultural Studies at the National College of Arts in Lahore. I loved all of my coursework related to South Asian art, particularly the contemporary modules. My research interests lie in the intersection between literature and culture, and I’m currently studying literary festivals as cultural spaces. Looking forward to expanding my knowledge with this course!

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 2, 2023 at 2:12 pm

Hi Shanzay,

Thank you for choosing to enrol in our course and being part of our community! We hope that you enjoy the course and that it gives you the opportunity to explore your interest in modern & contemporary art from South Asia. Feel free to let us know more about your experience with it through our feedback form!

• Anupama

November 2, 2023 at 8:42 am

Hi. Iam Anupama. I have worked in the banking and insurance sector for around 8 years after which I did my masters in English literature. I worked in the education sector for around 4 years and am currently a host in Airbnb for my guesthouse Strings of Heritage in Mangalore. I have come back to my first love which was art and enrolled in BFA course in a local college in Mangalore. This has given me a lot of exposure to the different art forms and also strengthened my skills. I would like to understand modern and contemporary art better with the relevant contexts. Pictorial composition is a subject in my course and it fascinates me. I am hoping to learn more about this here and truly appreciate that the course is free and self paced. MAP is a wonderful place and I enjoyed my visit with my daughter last summer.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 2, 2023 at 2:13 pm

Hi Anupama,

Your journey back to the arts is truly inspiring, thank you for sharing it with us. We hope this course furthers your interests! One of the key elements this course focuses on is ‘reading’ an artwork and the vocabulary around visual culture which we hope caters to your interests. Do feel free to share your feedback as you continue to take the course!

• Laura

November 2, 2023 at 8:53 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Laura and I am from the distant land of Argentina. I am an archaeologist, I have worked a lot in the design of heritage museums in my country. I have focused on art and technology issues throughout my career but in my region there is a certain bias towards Asia and Africa and that is the reason why I have joined. In recent years I have been dedicating myself more to art, experimentation, historical studies of art and new painting mediums for me such as watercolor. Since I was little I have been very attracted to music, dance, art, culture and thought of India over time. I discovered MAP academy a few months ago and I am very happy with their glossary and newsletter, they are very interesting and good. Really really happy with this course and the oppportunity to discover and know more about Indian art . thank you so much and so nice to meet you

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 3, 2023 at 9:37 am

Hi Laura!

Nice to meet you! Thank you for enroling in the course and being part of our community! Your enthusiasm and dedication to the arts is inspiring, we are happy to hear you found the course interesting.

Thank you for flagging the access issue with the form, we have changed a few settings and it should be accessible to you now. If the issue still persists, feel free to reach out here or directly to our email hellomapacademy@map-india.org. Sorry about the inconvenience.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Krishna.
      • Laura

November 16, 2023 at 10:44 pm

thank you so much Krishna and so nice to meet you !!!! glad to continue this great journey with you all !!!!

• Laura

November 2, 2023 at 11:35 pm

Ive tried to complete the survey but the form it is not free access

• Laura

November 16, 2023 at 11:08 pm

open now !!!! thank you so much

• Saloni

November 13, 2023 at 10:31 pm

Hi, everyone! I’m Saloni and I recently started working as a digital marketer. With a pressing interest and fondness of Indian art and fashion, I saw this course as the perfect opportunity to learn more about it methodically. Thank you Map for making it available for free, I’m sure it’ll encourage art enthusiasts like me to stoke their passion with ease and joy.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 20, 2023 at 10:54 am

Hi Saloni, thank you for choosing to be a part of our community. I hope you have a wonderful time taking the course! Since you mention fashion as one of your interests, I’d also encourage you to also have a look at the short course we offer on Textiles from the Indian Subcontinent. Happy Learning, and feel free to share your thoughts and feedback with us!

• Tanishqa

November 16, 2023 at 5:39 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Tanishqa and I am a corporate lawyer based in India. I love to read, write and paint (though it has been a while since i have picked up the brush :3). Art as a reflection of not only the psyche but also as the vehicle of socio-political movements fascinates me. This is my first time taking an art history course and I am super excited to join everyone and learn something new!

• Laura

November 16, 2023 at 10:58 pm

wishing you that the brushes picks you anytime soon

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 20, 2023 at 10:58 am

Hello Tanishqa, thank you so much for choosing our course! We’re thrilled to have enthusiastic learners from backgrounds as diverse as legal practice. The intersection of art, society and politics is a central thematic in our course and I hope the lessons help you engage more deeply with the idea. I also hope you get a chance to get back to creating art! Happy learning.

• Gordon

November 18, 2023 at 7:52 am

Thanks Sara, greatly looking forward to the course. I am based in Seattle and have been visiting India and leading tours for 30 years, I frequent the galleries in Delhi, Kolkata ( last week) and Mumbai regularly and working on a short book on Ashoka and Gandhara Empire.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 20, 2023 at 11:00 am

Hi Gordon, thank you for joining our community! Your work and travels sound quite exciting. I hope you enjoy the lessons and have a great learning experience. We’d love to hear your thoughts and feedback on the course in the forum. Good luck with your upcoming book!

• rabia

November 18, 2023 at 12:58 pm

Hi, i am Rabia. I am originally from Pakistan. I work in international development and have a keen interest in culture and arts, and the role it plays in socio-political dynamics in societies.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 20, 2023 at 11:04 am

Hi Rabia, thank you for taking our course! The osmosis between art and shifting societies in the modern and contemporary period forms an underlying thread across all our lessons in this course. I hope the questions we raise here add value to your knowledge. If you have any queries, concerns, or feedback, feel free to use this space to write to us. Happy learning!

• MANJUNATH

November 21, 2023 at 11:27 am

Hello All,

My name is Manjunath B.S. and I’m a software techie working on various security technologies. I’m interested in Indian Art & am a novice Art Collector. Hope to learn more about Indian Art in this course

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 21, 2023 at 4:41 pm

Hi Manjunath, welcome to the MAP Academy community! Thank you for showing interest in our course. Feel free to check out our website for more resources on Indian art. We hope you enjoy the lessons! Do let us know more about your experience as you make more progress through them.

• Nandana

November 21, 2023 at 11:29 am

Hi, I’m Nandana, and I recently graduated with a Master’s degree in English literature. I’m really excited to start this course because I’m very passionate about art, and also about learning new and interesting things 🙂 As part of my courses in college I’ve interacted a little with art and cultural practices from South Asia, especially India, so I’m looking forward to engaging more with them through this course.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 21, 2023 at 4:43 pm

Hello Nandana, we’re thrilled to have you here! Hope you have a great experience taking the course. Let us know your thoughts once you complete all the lessons! Do share it with your friends and fellow enthusiasts of art and culture. Thank you for joining.

• Titiksha

November 21, 2023 at 12:46 pm

Hello everyone! I am Titiksha Gupta, from India. I am currently pursuing my Masters degree in English language and literature, and looking forward to gain a PhD. My research interest include Contemporary Indian literature and movies, looking at retellings of mythologies, and creation of myths in contemporary India using cultural texts, especially movies. I am so excited to be here, and look forward to an enriching course with such delightful peers.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 21, 2023 at 4:43 pm

Hi Titiksha, we’re so happy to have you here! Thank you for sharing your experiences and enthusiasm with us. There is much that ties mythology and popular culture to modern art as well, as we have explored in some of our topics in this course. I hope you find the lessons engaging and exciting. Looking forward to having you with us on this learning journey!

Page 1 of 3

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now