• Meet and Greet

• Elizabeth

April 21, 2023 at 4:35 pm

Hello, I’m Elizabeth, originally from the U.S. but now living in Italy. I’ve been drawn to and appreciative of Indian textiles for a quite a while and was very happy to see this course offered—not to mention the other rich resources and materials offered on the MAP website. I really enjoyed the course and would love to take a longer, more in-depth textile course if one is offered. I was particularly enthralled by the ways in which women engage with and produce textiles, using them as ways to tell their stories; in fact I’d love to learn more about this particular aspect. Overall really pleased and thankful to have had this opportunity for enrichment. Keep up the fine work!

• Krishna

Administrator
      July 31, 2023 at 3:09 pm

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for your kind words! It is encouraging to hear that the Course and resources offered by us have been insightful. We’re delighted to let you know that we do have a more in-depth Course on South Asian textiles that is in the works, which will look more closely at some of the thematics we’ve covered here — including the intersections of gender, labour and expression. We’ll be sharing more updates soon on our website. Until then, we also have a set of other exciting Courses lined up. Looking forward to having you as a part of our community!

• Urvi Mangesh

May 2, 2023 at 3:32 pm

Hi Amorette and everyone here,

I am Urvi Mangesh Gupte, an Indian writer and artist interested in South Asian art. I would like to explore and learn in-depth about textiles. I look forward to more such courses from MAP Academy.

Best,

Urvi

• Krishna

Administrator
      July 31, 2023 at 3:09 pm

Thank you for choosing to join our community, Urvi. We have a range of Courses on art, architecture, photography, and a more in-depth Textiles Course in the making. Looking forward to your enthusiastic participation!

• ASHIMA

May 3, 2023 at 4:55 pm

Hi Amorette and team

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to learn about textiles from the South Asian region. Growing up in India we wore cotton, silk, chiffons and woolen fabrics. The weaves, prints and fabrics were very traditional. I remember the first time my mother bought a mixed fabric saree and it was called ‘shamoo-satin.’

I have always been drawn to the rich heritage of Indian textiles and would like to learn about it. Hence I have just joined in. Looking forward to my journey…

Ashima

• Krishna

Administrator
      July 31, 2023 at 3:08 pm

Hello Ashima, welcome to the community. Researching on materials, prints and weaves were some of the most exciting parts of our journey and we’re excited to see you share a passion for textiles from South Asia! I hope the Course allows you to engage with the rich and fascinating history of Indian textiles even more deeply. Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

• Ganesh Kumar

May 5, 2023 at 3:36 pm

Hello Amorette. I am Ganesh Kumar. I am currently working as a content creator. My aim is to study and revive ancient textile crafts though I am new to this creative field. Whenever I browse something related to the traditional textile arts of India on the web, I came across quality posts from MAP Academy. So, I am here to expand my knowledge about timeless textile arts. I must thank MAP Academy once again for curating this wonderful course.

• Krishna

Administrator
      July 31, 2023 at 3:07 pm

Hi Ganesh! Thank you so much for your warm appreciation for our work. We’re pleased to hear that our digital resources have been of use to you. This Course covers a wide range of historic textile practices from the subcontinent and we hope that these aid you in exploring your interests a little further. Good luck with your work and happy learning!

• Rama

May 16, 2023 at 3:51 pm

Hello, Amorette!

My field of work is Telecommunications, but I am deeply interested in the history of arts and crafts and their usage in textiles. Therefore I am very happy to join this course.

Thanks,

Rama

• Krishna

Administrator
      July 31, 2023 at 3:06 pm

Hi Rama! We’re delighted to see your enthusiasm in learning about arts, crafts and textiles. In this Course we look at how these often interact or overlap in the Indian context to produce timeless fabrics nuanced by its rich historical and cultural underpinnings. We hope you find it meaningful and engaging. In case you have any questions or feedback for us at any point, please feel free to use this discussion thread to share them with us. Happy learning!

• DEEPAK

May 19, 2023 at 2:30 pm

Hello Amorette, I am working in Monte Carlo Home Textiles in product development team from last 20 years. I am very passionate in Indian history, culture, art & craft, Heritage and traditional textiles. As working in textile company, I also taken my chances to experiment some our traditional designs like Paisley, Kalamkari & Ikat designs on our blanket products. Some looks good and some didn’t. I always thought for deep study in textiles like about colour plates used in traditional textiles and particular designs or shapes that resemble that tradition. One day when I am searching some textile patterns on internet I saw your courses and I immediately enrol it. Today I complete the course and the hunger for more knowledge is increased. This course is extremely good and I am awaiting for next courses.

• Krishna

Administrator
      July 31, 2023 at 3:06 pm

Hello Deepak, congratulations on completing the Course! We’re glad you enjoyed it. As someone who works in textiles, you might be interested in knowing that we also have a longer Course on South Asian Textiles lined up for the future which will allow us to dive deeper into some of the topics we’ve touched upon here. We look forward to having you with us on this learning journey!

• Ximena Isabel

July 7, 2023 at 7:17 am

Hi Amorette, I’m Ximena from Colombia, I’m a fashion designer but now more interested in organic fabric dying. My dream is learning more and more from India and your textiles. Thank you for receiving me to your academy.

• Krishna

Administrator
      July 31, 2023 at 3:05 pm

Hi Ximena, a warm welcome to you! We’re excited to have you join our learning community. In this Course we cover a range of textile practices from the Indian Subcontinent and look at how they’re rooted in the region’s history, geography and culture. I hope you find the lessons insightful and engaging! Feel free to reach out anytime you have questions or feedback.

• Shyamolie

July 19, 2023 at 8:06 pm

Hello everyone! I’m Shyamolie from Pune and I recently came across MAP in relation to job applications. I soon found this course and was interested to take it up and expand my knowledge of Indian textiles. Excited! Good luck y’all. Hope to be part of an inquisitive community.

• Krishna

Administrator
      July 31, 2023 at 3:05 pm

Hi Shyamolie, thank you for joining our Course and welcome to our community! I hope you have a rewarding experience, delving into the world of textiles. If you have any questions or feedback for us, don’t hesitate to reach out.

• Ashima

July 19, 2023 at 10:58 pm

Dear Amorette, pleasure to e-connect. Thank you for a warm welcome. So happy to discover this course. I was looking for something on these lines. Am a Fashion stylist and a visual communication consultant work at the intersection of fashion, art and textiles. I’m thrilled to learn and actively contribute to the evolution of artisanal crafts in this post-modern era. Excited about the course 🙂 Will circle back for questions /feedback.

• Krishna

Administrator
      July 31, 2023 at 3:04 pm

Hi Ashima, we’re delighted to see your interest in our Course! Your background and experience in fashion and textiles sounds quite exciting. We’re happy to have you as a part of our community, and look forward to your insights and perspectives on the subject. Do feel free to share them with us here on the forum!

• Vicky

September 1, 2023 at 1:50 am

My name is Vicky Collins and I’m so happy to have discovered this organization. I’ve just returned from a 4 month journey through a lot of India (but not all – not enough time!). While there, I fell in love with Indian art and culture and am very hungry to learn more. I’m especially attracted to Primitive Art of the Punjab – but all of India fascinates me.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 8, 2023 at 11:52 am

Hello Vicky, welcome to our community! We’re thrilled to hear about your travels and your interest in the arts of Punjab. You might particularly enjoy the topic on the Punjabi Phulkari embroidery which we touch upon briefly in our course. In case you wish to read more on the subject, you can check out our online Encyclopedia of Art. I am also excited to share that we have a few more engaging South Asian art history courses lined up for launch which will definitely be of interest to you. You can pre-register on our website. Looking forward to having you with us and happy learning!

• Krisha

September 3, 2023 at 7:38 pm

I am so glad to have found this course via Instagram. I work as a Sustainability Consultant for the fashion industry and honestly, this course felt so warm and emotional. I love how this course combines art, textiles, economy and so much more. There were moments when I felt the pain of how we have exploited the textile industry. But, I am hopeful to see how centuries-old techniques are again becoming mainstream. Thanks to courses like these that put so much effort into creating such high-quality content. If there are any opportunities to work remotely as a researcher for MAP Academy then I would love to get in touch and be part of such educational content. Thank you for creating this and sharing as a free course.

Krisha

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 8, 2023 at 11:52 am

Hi Krisha, we’re so glad that the course resonated with you. Please feel free to stay updated on our latest job openings by keeping an eye on our social media channels and our website. Thank you for showing interest. Looking forward to hearing from you!

• Stella

September 11, 2023 at 1:42 pm

Hi everyone – thank you Amorette and MAP Academy for making this course available and for generously sharing these precious resources. I am an artist living in Perth Western Australia. Using sustainably sourced and locally foraged plant fibres and dyes such as raffia, sea grass, eucalyptus and earth pigments, I create natural fibre vessels and woven sculptures which are detailed. My interests include traditional Sicilian baskets ‘coffa’ and ‘panaru’ which were used to collect fruit from my family’s orchards. The act of making and its potential for (re)connection to heritage, culture and storytelling is an emerging theme in my work.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 8, 2023 at 11:53 am

Hi Stella, your practice sounds so fascinating! The idea of bringing together art-making, culture, heritage and storytelling resonates deeply with the work we do at MAP Academy as well. Thank you so much for joining our community and sharing your work with us. Hope you enjoyed our short course. Feel free to share your feedback with us here on the forum.

• Rajasi

October 25, 2023 at 5:02 pm

Hello!

My name is Rajasi Patil and I’m a textile artist. My interests lie in experimenting with unconventional materials and processes on the loom to achieve striking surface effects and textures. I gravitate towards textiles because it, conceptually and practically, allows me to meditate on their fragility as a form. I approach my work with an attitude towards making, that is very process led, learning by doing. I intend to continue my practise by pushing/ exploring the boundaries of the traditional craft, studying its historical and cultural significance. Textiles are a huge part of our daily lives, and I believe understanding the various processes and learning about the rich history of textiles in our country, is crucial for every maker and consumer, especially in todays world, helping us contemplate and regain sensitivity towards our surroundings.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 8, 2023 at 11:53 am

Hi Rajasi, it’s wonderful to hear your thoughts on textiles and inspiring to know of how you attempt to translate them to praxis through your work as a textile artist. Thank you for choosing our course. We are excited to have you with us and would love to hear what you think about it. Happy learning and good luck with your work!

• Tanya

November 1, 2023 at 3:32 pm

Hi , I am Tanya I just completed my graduation from history background and trying to navigate my way through it to find what branch of history is more interesting and attracting to me that’s why I joined this course and also to gain some more knowledge

Looking forward to the course

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  tanyaaa001.
    • Krishna

Administrator
      November 8, 2023 at 11:54 am

Hi Tanya! Hope the course helps you find your way through South Asian textile history and adds value to your knowledge. If you enjoy the course, do share it with your friends and fellow art history enthusiasts. You may also check out our free short course on Modern and Contemporary Indian Art, if you find the subject exciting. Happy learning!

• Devika

November 4, 2023 at 3:31 am

Hello! I am Devika and I am currently a full-time art student in the UK, completing a Foundation Art and Design Diploma. I am of Indian heritage on my mother’s side and have always been interested in South Asian art forms. As a part of my course, I am required to explore Fine Art, Graphic Design, and Textiles, the last of which I am currently experimenting with (and have had no prior experience with). Therefore, I feel that this MAP course will be extremely helpful in allowing me to have a broader understanding of textiles, with a particular focus on South Asia, which is beneficial for me, elevating and aiding whatever I do using textiles during my diploma.

• Krishna

Administrator
      November 8, 2023 at 11:56 am

Hello Devika, thank you for joining our course. The course is definitely descended to be an accessible entry point into the interconnected histories of textiles, trade, culture and community in South Asia which sounds perfectly in line with your requirements. We hope it aids you in your academic pursuits. Do let us know your thoughts on the course here on the forum!

Page 4 of 6

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now